Water is the constant enemy of homes. The wet enemy can attack from the outside through storms or from the inside through areas such as pipes. Even with the best protection, water leaks will eventually strike your home. Will you be ready?
Absolute Service has you covered. In our experience, we have seen many ways people use to stop water in their homes from becoming a problem. Read on for our top ways to prevent water damage.
Top Ways to Prevent Water Damage
- Disconnect Hoses - When connected to your house, a hose will still have water inside it. This water can end up freezing causing leaks or more severe problems if a pipe bursts. When the weather begins to shift, disconnect all your hoses.
- Regularly Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Empty gutters cause few problems. At least twice a year, clean your gutters and downspouts. Extra cleanings help if after severe storms or if there is a large tree nearby. Full gutters can lead to water infiltration through the roof or even along the exterior of your house. Point downspouts away from your home to prevent basement water leaks.
- Maintain Roots - Trees and shrubs add natural beauty to your home, but their roots can end up chocking your pipework. Take note of where your utility pipes are and keep that area clear of larger trees and shrubs.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Keep an eye out for leaks. When all else fails, your water bill can indicate if you have a water leak. Notice any sharp differences between you bill this year and that of the same month last year.
- Learn Where Your Water Main Is - Planning a trip? Find out where your water main is to shut off your water supply. Stopping the water at the source will prevent any small drips from causing damage while you are out of your house.
- Test Your Sump Pump - Sump pumps offer extra protection during storms. Waiting until a storm to find out yours no longer works can cause critical problems. Test your sump pump by filling up the pump pit and monitoring how it fills.
Leaks will eventually come to all homes. Keeping an eye on the trouble spots can help you prevent leaks from causing worse water damage. If you notice a concerning leak, reach out the experts at Absolute Service today at (248) 655-7100 any time of the day or night.